Thursday, May 20, 2010

Stroopgate

When doing a review of something, I subscribe to the Andy Bernard school of thought - "I like this painting" or "this muffin tastes bad" - so I don't!

But, of the bars I went to in Amsterdam, this was my favourite:




This is how great I am as I can't even remember the name. But it was apparently, or claims to be, the worlds first openly gay bar est 1927 and everywhere you looked in this tiny place, there was some quirky curio of some nature.




The bruiser in the framed photo was the original owner of the bar and took a dislike to anyone wearing a tie in her bar, so she cut them off with scissors!! All around the room and roof is snipped ties tacked to the beams.

This bar was also a meeting place for resistance members in WW2. The bar lady was also "friendly" with some Nazi officers but when they found out she was harbouring meetings, they warned her they were going to arrest the members. Legend has it she and a bar tender lured the officers down a side alleyway and slit their throats. Awesome.

Also, i have found the new love of my life which shall replace my notorious late night pudding-gates:




STROOPWAFELS!!!! (supported in photo by smoked Gouda cheese... nomnomnom). Lucky I have been walking (and bike riding) everywhere so I can nomnomnom away.

Location:Brielselaan,Rotterdam,The Netherlands

No comments:

Post a Comment