Monday, June 7, 2010

White whine #2: Art Burn

Like most tourists, I love going to galleries and museums overseas as they are usually far better stocked than Australian ones, as Australia would rather pour billions into sports stadiums. Boring.

So far I've been to more than I can count, most good some not so good. Yesterday the Museum Moderner Kunst Siftung Ludwig Wien (MUMOK modern art museum) fell under "not so good". It was my fault for failing to see what was actually exhibiting there before running in and blindly buying a ticket. Oh how I paid...





(MUMOK, more like a modern day Death Star than gallery, really)

If there's one thing in the world I hate, it's video art. Video art is ususlly like someone's boring bad dream portrayed by bad acting and shitty filming in monotone. Also throw in a crap soundtrack of dog barking, footsteps and random synthesized muzak. It's a massively self indulgent, wankfesty bullshit genre of art, I hate it, it's boring and I never bother indulging it. This is a massive generalization but you get the idea.

MUMOK is currently running an exhibition featuring 5 FUCKING LEVELS of video art. Urgh. Mostly of the extra shitty extra nonsensicle German variety with some Yoko Ono thrown in. Yuck. (aside: mike myers used to do a skit called "Sprockets" parodying a German art critic hosting a show called "Germany's most disturbing home movies" featuring ridiculous b&w clips, I would link some up if i was bothered, but alas.... Google it)

So I think I attempted to watch about 3 or 4 videos but I was really an epic fail. I still hate video art and there's only so much I could take of Joseph Beuys singing 80s pop tributes to Ronald Reagan in German.

However, all bad memories are erased! I also went to the Belvedere museum and saw many paintings by Gustav Klimt, including "the kiss" and "Judith"..... So so so beautiful!! As a wise woman once said: I DIE!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. J-Dog, that building just screams incomprehensible, pretentious and ultimately dull as ditchwater. Viva la Klimt! Bring me home an Icelandic pony. And an anterly sculpture for the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mucha now Klimt. I die too.....of jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. meh i'm so with you, i hate video art.

    ReplyDelete