Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Marche aux Puces de St Ouen (aka Paris flea markets)

St Ouen is apparently the biggest flea/antique market in Paris and boy do I love me some fleas.

Located in the north of Paris, it is a particularly el dodgeo area and should be visited with a little caution. Before you get to the true antique/flea goodies, you have to manouver your way through the cheap knock offs and junk first. I was careful taking photos in this part as the iPhone in my hand may have been replaced with a bong.


Be warned that you may be exposed to some extremely loud reggae and/or the fashion stylings of the Honorable Nelson and former Mrs Winnie Mandela:


From what i could navigate without a map (Lord of the Idiots strikes again), the real flea markets are somewhat of a maze and located in a few unusual sections. One being a large 2 level hall, the other much like a large, long term storage park of higgledy piggledy garages that was much like a very large maze of treasure. I fucking loved it:


I went here on a Monday when only about 40% of the stalls are open, so it wasn't really the true experience but it was probably better for my poor wallet and there were less people in my way when I had to run to the treasure (which was always).


This store was mostly old bakelite jewellery. Total junk but pretty to look at:





Poor Jesus, someone needed the wood:





I love these old hand carved wooden alphabet stamps, way overpriced though :(


This crummy old bar/cafe hidden in the back of the market is sposedly famous but I've never heard of it so it can't be that good. Maybe Piaf sang here on her off days:


These gorgeous old religious icons were a fantastic contender for my wall of tackiness until I saw the price. I don't spose they paid the church they stole them from €250 per piece.


I did end up buying a 1940s handpainted mold of a dolls face which I didn't photograph. When I proudly showed B and her sister, who I shall name The One Obsessed With Her Phone, they didn't seem very impressed, in fact they looked at me with slight disgust. Oh well.

Location:Rue Laurin,Rueil-Malmaison,France

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed and I know I will love it as I knew you would love the St. Ouen markets. Aren't they incredible. So much to see and want, want, want ! Probably a good thing I didn't get there this time. Glad you're adding text this time. I miss it when you dont write !

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMmmmmmm flea markets, itchy-but in a good way. Love Laura. x

    ReplyDelete