Sunday, July 18, 2010

White Whine #4: A night at the opera

I kept this white whine simmering on the DL for awhile due to its familial nature. Me bringing it up on the internets may bring me strife as it was a nice gesture gone awry but I am no stranger controversy. My lack of shame or tact much like my dancing, is legendary. However, this is such a first world, middle class bastard white whine, I couldn't resist posting it here for prosperities sake.

This is a bit of a long story so this is the short version. When I was first in Paris about a month ago, I was forced to go to the opera with my brothers wifes parents (without my brother or his wife because he wanted to watch the soccer grrrr) and sit thru a FIVE HOUR german opera by Wagner about an incestuous brother and sister couple who are in love and run away then are killed by Viking gods. I kid you not. My inner Jew was screaming. I couldn't write material this ridiculous. My sister faked illness in the first hour and got to leave and I was STUCK there, no food, no sudoku, didnt understand a word, NOTHING.

By the end I couldn't even pretend I liked it. Maybe the best bit was about 20 guys who got fully nude for a scene but even then I was like, nope, not even some random French penis makes up for it.

Now far away from it, it was a great experience and it gives us all a hearty laugh! - "Hey, remember the time we had to watch a German opera for five hours??!! Ho ho ho!!"

The singing was amazing and the sets fantastic leaving Opera Australia for dead but still, I want five hours of my life back, please.







2 comments:

  1. bahah

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

    MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

    ReplyDelete
  2. took your sweet time to come out....does that feel better now?

    ReplyDelete